Breaking News Trending News UK News USA World News

Who was Toby Hudson ( Student 19 died from sepsis after trying to call GP surgery 25 ) Wiki, Bio, Age, Cause of Death, Twitter, Details and More Facts

Toby Hudson Bio- Toby Hudson Wiki

Toby Hudson, was unable to get through to anyone at the practice because of a faulty phone system, an inquest heard.

He gave up and tried again the next day but when he eventually got through, he was told he could not have an appointment for at least 48 hours.

Toby Hudson Age

Toby Hudson was 19-years-old.

The teen was told that because he was registered at another surgery in his university town of Southampton, Hants, he could either wait two days to re-register or go to an urgent care walk-in centre.

He went to the centre and was seen by nurse practitioner Briony Jefferis, who wrongly diagnosed him with tonsillitis and gave him antibiotics.

Over the next 24 hours Mr Hudson’s condition deteriorated in front of his parents who called 999 when he slipped into unconsciousness.

He went into cardiac arrest but was delayed in getting to hospital because an ambulance went to the wrong location.

Toby died on the night of July 4, 2019, two days after he had first sought help at the Wyke Regis & Lanehouse Medical Practice in Weymouth, Dorset.


A post mortem examination showed Toby died from multiple organ failure due to sepsis, as a result of infectious mononucleosis (glandular fever).

An inquest into his death in Bournemouth heard he had previously been a patient at the Weymouth practice.

However, when he moved to Southampton to study chemistry he registered at a new clinic closer to campus.

The teen had been suffering from a cough for around two months before he returned to his family home in Weymouth in the summer of 2019.

He had swollen glands and ‘puffy’ tonsils and a sore throat when his parents told him to speak to a GP.

Giving evidence, Dr Matthew Brook, a partner at the Wyke Regis & Lanehouse Medical Practice, admitted issues with the phone system due to a high patient load.

Dr Brook said: “We were having tremendous problems with our phone system which could not handle a much higher number of calls.

“There was a queuing system but in a lot of cases people were waiting a long time and then hanging up.

“We have had a review since then and nobody recalled taking the call from Toby.”


Mrs Jefferis said she was ‘not remotely worried’ about Toby’s symptoms when she examined him at the urgent care centre in Weymouth Community Hospital.

She said: “I met with Toby on July 3. He was seen by a triage nurse and then by myself around ten minutes later.

“He had a normal temperature of 36.1 degrees, a heart rate of 102bpm and rated his pain at an eight out of ten.

“He did not show any signs of sepsis and his symptoms were consistent with those of tonsillitis.

“He was given penicillin and told to return if he did not feel an improvement over the next two days.

“Neither myself nor the triage nurse were remotely worried.”

Toby’s dad, Peter, said he came home on July 4 to find Toby under a blanket on the sofa and looking pale.

He helped him into the wet room of the house where his son’s eye’s rolled back in his head, there were bubbles of spit in his mouth and he briefly lost consciousness.

Mr Hudson dialled both 111 and 999 and an ambulance was dispatched.

His son was then taken from his home address in Weymouth to the Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester.

Sponsored Links